Having problems with your 1997 GMC Savana ?
Replace water pump
\015 Van 350 engine\015
- Take Out the Old Pump
- . Jack up the GMC truck using the jack stands to stabilize the vehicle. Disconnect the negative battery cable by opening the hood and using a screwdriver to unscrew the clamp that connects the negative battery cable to the battery post.
- 2Unscrew the radiator cap to release the pressure. Locate the drain plug underneath the radiator, on the right side. Remove it. Catch the coolant in a clean container and immediately clean up any spills.
- Disconnect the parts leading to the water pump on the engine using an adjustable wrench. In the following order, this includes: air outlet ducts, radiator hose (both ends), coolant fan and clutch, drive belt, surge tank hose and heater hose. As you remove each part, lay it out, alongside its bolts, in the order disconnected.
- 4Remove the water pump using an adjustable wrench to unbolt the water pump from the block. Take the bolts out in any order. If needed, chisel in the seam between the water pump and the block to separate the two parts.
- 5Remove the gasket, which may be in pieces on both the water pump and the engine. Wipe the pieces away with a clean shop rag if possible or scrape them away with the chisel if needed.
- 6Fit the new gasket onto the new GMC 5.7 water pump. Hold the gasket in place as you mount both pieces onto the engine, where the old water pump sat.
- 7Set the new bolts carefully into the holes in any order. Many 5.7 engines use two rounds of tightening, first with 11 foot pounds of torque and then with 22 foot pounds of torque. Reconnect the rest of the parts in the order you took them off, replacing any worn or damaged parts along the way.
- 8Place the drain plug back in the bottom of the radiator. Refill it with coolant as specified in your owner's manual. Screw the radiator cap back on. Then, lower the truck back to the ground, close the hood and clean up any spilled coolant.
- 9Replace and tighten the negative battery cable to the post with the screwdriver. Start the GMC engine and check for leaks. Don't forget to remove the cinder blocks before driving.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for 1997 GMC Savana
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.