Having problems with your 1999 Ford Windstar ?
My minivan needs a new starter. I don't know where it's located or how to change it. Help???
The starter is located on the bottom at the front of the engine. If you follow your positive cable that goes down to the bottom of your engine it will take you directly to your starter. You will find some of the attaching hardware to be SAE sizes and some are Metric.
First you will need to raise the car and put safety stands under it to prevent any possibility of falling. Also you must chock the rear wheels to keep the car from rolling and coming off the jack stands while up in the air. The car will want to roll when you are reefing on the bolts.
- Disconnect the battery cables at the battery.
- Disconnect the two wires to the starter.
- The larger wire runs through a standoff above the starter. It makes the job easier if you will remove the bolt holding the standoff to the engine block. This allows you to move the large wire out of your way.
- Remove the two bolts holding the starter onto the flywheel housing. One bolt is easy to get at as it is visible on the front but the second one is hidden up behind the starter.
NOTE: Starter bolts are 13mm. Brakeline bracket bolt is 15mm. \015\012
- Do the opposite to install. \015\012
- If this was helpful please leave a positive rating.
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.