Having problems with your 2001 Ford Focus ?
Car over heating
\015 My 2001 focus zx3 keeps on over heating when i come to a stop and then the tamperature goes down once i start driving what seems to be te problem and the fan turns on when the temperture needel is all the way to the top\015
There could be a number of things causing your vehicle to overheat, you'll need to do some trouble shooting to find out what the problem is, here's a list of things that might help,
- Check the thermostat, if it's defective replace it. \015\012
- Check the coolant in the reservoir tank, it should be at the proper full level.
- Sometimes when you change a thermostat there's a possibility you could get air in your coolant lines from having the coolant system opened up, this could keep your coolant from circulating through your system, if so you would need to bleed the air out of the coolant system.
- The water pump should be inspected for leaking coolant out of the weep hole's, when a water pump go'es bad it may leak coolant, which would mean the seals on the pump are bad, also listen for squeeling noise's coming from the pump when the car is started, if it squeels the bearings are bad, there is also a possibility the water pump fins are wore down from corrosion, there is no way to inspect this without removing the pump.
- check the drive belt for wear and tension, a bad tensioner or a bad drivebelt could have an effect on the operation of the water pump.
- check the pressure cap on the coolant reservoir tank for good pressure, when you remove the cap you should hear a hissing sound this means you have good pressure in your cooling system, check for corrosion or build up on the cap, clean the cap if nessary, also check the coolant in the reservoir tank, it should be clean, if not you might need to have the cooling system flushed. \015\012
- check the large upper and lower radiator hose's for cracks, swelling, and proper coolant flow.
- Check the operation of the cooling Fan, and circuit, cooling fans use relays and fuses, some vehicles use more than one cooling fan, if your vehicle has two cooling fans there should be two relays and two fuses one for each fan, first visually inspect the fuses if one or both are bad replace them, when a relay is activated it sends voltage to your cooling fan, you can test the relay or relays for continuity by removing them and doing a proper continuity test according to your relays circuit diagram.
- Check the coolant temperature sensor, most coolant temperature sensors are located directly in the thermostat housing, this sends information to your ecm which determines when to turn your cooling fan on and off, if it's defective replace it.
- Inspect the radiator grill for any debris build up or damage.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for 2001 Ford Focus
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.