Having problems with your 2005 Volvo XC90 ?
Car Jacking My car is jacking with code number P0101- Mass or volume airflow circuit range /performance and P2188 - system too rich at idle bank 1. Please can anyone help ?
Asically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value for more than 4.0 seconds.\012The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:
- Inspect for the following conditions:
An incorrectly routed harness--Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor in order to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
- The secondary ignition wires or coils
- Any solenoids
- Any relays
- Any motors \012
- A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor. \012
- A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor g/s display on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 6-12 g/s at idle to 230 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system. \012
- The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON. \012
- When the engine is running the MAP sensor value is continually updated near WOT. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated MAF value to be inaccurate. The value shown for the MAP sensor display varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 103 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude. \012
- A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set. \012
- Any loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.
This sounds like a dirty Mass Airflow Sensor causing the ECU to over adjust the mixture Lean/Rich. You can either try cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner, replacing it, or having a mechanic try and clean it. They are rather delicate and can cause all kinds of havoc like no start! The MAF for your vehicle runs about $150... here is a good page for the replacemetn part. The MAF to replace is usually very easy. It is located between the air intake and the throttle body injector. So look for the black duct/hose (large) running from your air filter housing to the engine block and you will see a plastic housing somewhere in that duct/hose. The MAF is replaced by disconnecting the wiring, loosening hose connections on both sides and removing the old. The new one is placed and reconnected.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for 2005 Volvo XC90
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.