Having problems with your Cars & Trucks ?
Location of timimg marks on a 1986 ford ranger with a 2.3 engine
They will look like punch marks on the Crank Shaft pulley and On the cam shaft pulley and if the engine is equipped with a knock device on the pulley for that. A Haynes repair manual will actually show a picture of these marks and explain how to line them up and hold them in place in the fastest manner.
CAMSHAFT TIMING INSPECTION \015\012
- Locate and carefully remove the access plug from the upper portion of the timing cover. \015\012WARNING
When turning the engine over by hand, ALWAYS rotate the crankshaft in the proper direction of rotation, otherwise the timing belt might jump one or more teeth due to the configuration of the belt tensioner. \015\012
- Turn the engine CLOCKWISE (in the normal direction of rotation) to set the engine at Top Dead Center (TDC) of the No. 1 cylinder by aligning the O mark on the belt cover with the O mark on the crankshaft pulley. \015\012NOTE: If no timing mark is visible through the access cover when the O marks on the crank pulley and cover are aligned, the engine may be on No. 1 exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke (the camshaft is 180°away from No. 1 TDC). If so, the crankshaft must be rotated one full turn to bring the No. 1 piston back to the top and the camshaft around to close the No. 1 intake and exhaust valves. \015\012
- With the O marks aligned, look through the access hole in the cover to confirm that the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket aligns with the pointer on the inner belt cover. If the belt timing is incorrect, the timing cover and belt must be removed for further inspection, possible replacement and correct installation. For more details, please refer to Section 3 of this manual. \015\012
- If timing is correct, re-install the access plug. \015\012\015\012
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for Cars & Trucks
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.