Having problems with your Ford Mustang ?
Hi. I would like to get a video or pictures on what to do exactly when removing the gas tank on my 2000 mustang 6 cylinder.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
\015\012\015\012Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion. \015\012Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. \015\012\015\012
- Drain the fuel from the tank. \015\012
- Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands. \015\012
- Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe and vent hose clamps at the metal tubes and remove the hoses. \015\012
- Label and disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump. \015\012
- Detach the electrical connector from the fuel pump. \015\012
- Label and disconnect the white plastic push connect fitting for the EVAP system at the right rear upper corner of the fuel tank. \015\012
- Place a transmission jack or other suitable support device under the fuel tank, but do not obstruct the tank holding straps. \015\012
- Remove the fuel tank holding strap retaining bolts. The tank holding straps are hinged at the front and will swing down after the retaining bolts are removed. \015\012
- Carefully lower the tank from the vehicle and place the tank in a secure spot.
\015\012If you find it necessary, you may want to tape the lines and hoses on the top of the fuel tank to ensure the proper routing and that no lines are pinched between the tank and the body.
- If the tank is to be replaced: \015\012\015\012
- Drain the old tank and remove it from the jack or other device. Place the new tank on the jack or other device. \015\012
- Remove the retaining nuts and transfer the shields from the old tank to the new tank and tighten the nuts. \015\012
- Remove the fuel pump from the old tank and install it in the new tank. \015\012
- Make sure the EVAP valves are installed in the new tank, if not, remove them from the old tank and install them in the new tank. \015\012
- Make sure the inner fuel tank filler seal is in the correct position.
- Raise the fuel tank into position. \015\012
- Connect the white plastic push connect fitting for the EVAP system. \015\012
- Connect the fuel lines to the fuel pump. \015\012
- Install the fuel pump electrical harness connector. \015\012
- Connect the filler pipe vent tube and filler pipe to the tank. \015\012
- Position the fuel tank straps and tighten the retaining bolts to 23-29 ft lbs. (30-40 Nm). \015\012
- Remove the transmission jack or other device. \015\012
- Connect the fuel filler pipe and vent hoses. \015\012
- Lower the vehicle \015\012
- Connect the negative battery cable. \015\012Add fuel to the tank, it is not nessarasry to fill to the top, add approx 5 gallons. \015\012
- Cycle the ignition key several times from OFF to ON to build fuel pressure. \015\012
- Start the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.
Repair Help & Product Troubleshooting for Ford Mustang
Tips for a great answer:- Provide details, support with references or personal experience .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box .
- It's 100% free, no registration required.